Friday, April 3, 2020

Gulab Jamun


What is it about these sweet brown syrupy balls from heaven that I can't stop enjoying them? Hey, hey hold on....I'm talking about Gulab Jamun of course ๐Ÿ˜œ
This popular Indian sweet dish has been my favorite since childhood. Every time mom would make them, that would be the only thing I'd eat for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Was never such a big fan of sweets, this was an exception! After moving to the US, I attempted to eat them at multiple Indian restaurants including anna's - but never liked them anywhere. They were either too hard, not soft enough or too spongy! I tried making them at home with MTR Gulab Jamun mix - nah, the goodness was till missing. I almost gave up hope of eating yummy GJ ๐Ÿ˜”Until.....I visited by BFF and her friend's husband made them while we were chatting. First of all it was surprising that he made them in the time that it took the girls to chat, and second of all they were DELICIOUS!! I mean REALLY DELICIOUS! That was it, my hope came rushing back and I got the recipe from them. And the end result - sweet brown syrupy balls from heaven!!! Here's the recipe - super simple and easy to make. Results are always consistent.
Ingredients

Sugar 3 cups
Water 3 cups

Milk powder 1 cup
Evaporated milk or  heavy cream 1 cup
All purpose flour 1 cup (you can use Maida flour instead)
Baking powder 1 tea spoon
Oil for deep fry

Preparation

Sugar syrup: Boil sugar and water for about 5 mins till the sugar is dissolved. Get it cooled to room temperature.

Mix flour, milk powder, baking powder, and cream together into a smooth dough . Don't add milk or water, cream is enough to mix properly. Make this dough into small balls.
Heat oil for deep fry and fry these balls to golden brown color. Soak these fried balls in sugar syrup till they are soft and absorb the syrup completely. 
I make small balls so they completely absorb the sugar syrup. For the quantity of ingredients above I get about 30-40 Gulab Jamuns. Enjoy!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment