Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Covid day 22 - Hair Type 2B?!

So, just learnt something new....about hair types! Didn’t know there was such a thing! As I posted a few days ago about leaving my hair Au Naturel, I shared it with my girls gang and they asked for a pic. I mustered all my courage and sent them one and was surprised by the comments I got. Beach wavy! Never thought of my hair that way at all! Never ever! 

Growing up since I was a kid, I always hated my hair’s texture. My hair was always healthy and super long but it was so frizzy that for the most part I would have oil in my hair, braided. I always felt jealous looking at other kids in school who had soft silky hair and I always wanted my hair to be like that. Of course amma never let me do anything with it, let some cutting it! It was so long that st one point it grew up to my knees and with a folded braid it would come all the way to my waist! My hair was my mom’s pet project. Never used shampoo till I was 15-16! She always used soap nut mixed with hibiscus leaves. Sunday, the only holiday of the week, was filled with my hair activities. Washing it, drying it, applying oil etc! It’s a ritual I continue on till now. Taking care of my hair is one of my, if not my biggest passions. 

Very soon after  moving to the US, I went for a haircut in a high-end salon and they blow dried my hair. Guess what happened....the inevitable....I loved how my hair and I looked and that was it!!! Almost 15 years now, I wash my hair and suppress my frizz, natural waves under the weight of a hot flat iron! Until now! I’m starting to feel my hair is thinning and I wonder maybe cuz of the way I’ve been treating it! Now I see my close friends with beautiful curls and I feel I can brave it and maybe attempt the same?! 
 I’m getting a lot of support that I didn’t have ever before so I’m getting excited about this! Maybe it’s time I change my hair ritual and embrace my natural hair! 

So, I got to know about hair types today - mine apparently is a Type 2B. I started researching how to care for my hair. Hopefully there will be more blog posts on this topic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment